How to Apply for Financial Aid
Financial Aid in 9 Steps
To qualify for financial aid, you need to apply. In Washington, there are two different applications for financial aid, but you only need to file one.
- File the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) if you are a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. File online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
- File the WASFA (Washington Application for State Financial Aid) if you are not eligible to file the FAFSA due to immigration status. Find information and file online at www.readysetgrad.org/WASFA.
YVC’s Financial Aid Office receives your FAFSA data, and requests information from you. Be sure to regularly check your YVC email. You can also find information that we request on the Financial Aid Portal. You can review your Student Aid Report (SAR) on the FAFSA website for accuracy and make any corrections to your SAR at fafsa.gov.
If you have not applied to Yakima Valley College yet, complete your application and be sure to go to Admissions and complete your application.
After submitting your requested information, it takes 2-6 weeks for your information to be reviewed, depending on the number of files. Financial Aid Office reviews information and if necessary corrects FAFSA data. Please do not make any changes to your FAFSA data during this step.
Financial Aid Office reviews information and if necessary corrects FAFSA data. This may take several weeks, so do not make any changes to your FAFSA data during this step. Corrections will be processed through the Financial Aid Office and federal processor. Submit requested information to the Financial Aid Office. Submit all information at one time and make sure your name and Student Number are on each page.
Financial Aid Office determines your eligibility for aid and sends an email notifying you of your award. Be sure to regularly check your YVC email and Financial Aid Portal.
Review your award notification available in your Financial Aid Portal and complete all requirements for awards that you wish to accept. For loans, you need to visit Financial Aid Portal and accept the loan, and visit studentloans.gov and log in to complete Entrance Counseling and approve the master promissory note (MPN).
Set up the method in which you want your award distributed from YVC’s Cashier Services. YVC uses uses Mobile One Vibe to provide electronic distribution of financial aid funds to students.
The financial aid refund options include:
- BankMobile Vibe (formerly Higher One) card (funds are available the same day)
- ACH transfer to the student’s own bank account (funds are available 2-3 business days)
- Paper check from BankMobile Vibe mailed to the student (funds available 5-7 business days)
Financial Aid funds are generally available the Friday before the quarter begins. You must be enrolled, making satisfactory academic progress and meet all requirements for aid. If the amount of your aid exceeds your bill, you will be eligible for a refund.