YVC opened a remodeled, state-of-the-art Fitness Center in 2019 featuring contemporary branding, updated audiovisual, and an overall modern look and feel, open to serve the students of YVC in pursuit of their health and wellness goals. The center features more than 50 pieces of major, brand-new equipment.
Part of an addition to Sherar Gymnasium in 1965, the footprint of today’s Fitness Center originally housed a dance studio, weight room, two handball courts, and a multi-purpose room. In 2017, a major project to significantly remodel the Fitness Center and provide better opportunities for students to engage in regular exercise and improve self-care was initiated through a partnership between Associated Students of YVC and the athletics/physical education department. In 2018, construction consisting of the repurposing and better utilization of the existing footprint began with a chief goal of providing a more functional flow between the entirety of workout and office spaces
Access to Fitness Center facilities:
- Hours of operation are 6:30 a.m.- 6 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- A $40 per quarter lab fee is charged to access the Fitness Center.
- Students who enroll in a PE course already pay the lab fee and have access.
- Students and employees who want to work out without earning PE credit are allowed access to the Fitness Center by paying a $40 quarterly fee. To do so, they must register for PE 076 by completing the walk-in registration form on the registration page. The $40 fee will be charged upon submitting the form.
- Athletics has a membership contract that they keep on file for all PE students (even those taking 076 for non-credit).
- Locker rooms in Sherar are open during standard hours of operation with the exception of home basketball games, when locker rooms will close three hours prior to tipoff.
Tour the facilities:
Take a virtual tour of Sherar Gymnasium, including an in-depth look at the complete fitness center facility and the Gymnasium’s multi-purpose court.
8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday-Friday