Yakima Valley College (YVC) Upward Bound (UB) Program is funded by the US Department of Education and assists students in their pursuit of a high school diploma and prepares them to enter and complete a post-secondary education program.
YVC Upward Bound is a year-round program
- Academic Year Support: Support is provided includes tutoring, advising, after-school workshops, SAT/ACT test preparation, career/cultural exploration opportunities, college/university tours, and financial stipends.
- Summer Residential Program: Each Summer, YVC UB hosts a six-week residential program at the YVC Yakima Campus. Summer participants get to experience the academic and social aspects of living and being on a college campus. Students receive instruction in YVC classrooms and enroll in language arts, math, foreign language, lab science, and elective classes. For their summer academic efforts, students can earn high school credit. In addition, students have the opportunity to attend a Science Learning Camp and participate in off-campus travel.
Who we serve
- Low-income and/or first-generation students
- Entering 9th, 10th, or 11th grade
- From Wapato, Toppenish, Granger, and Sunnyside high schools
- U.S. Citizen or legal Permanent Resident
- In need of academic support/resources
- Guidance in navigating the college and scholarship process
- Online tutoring and one-on-one support
- Monthly seminars
- Assistance with class and career planning
- A unique 6-week summer residential program that provides a true college experience
- College campus tours and connections
- Computer and calculator lending system
- Monthly stipend for participation
- One-on-one advising with Upward Bound staff