Meet Lynne Geddis

I would like to introduce one of our commencement speakers, Lynne Geddis. I have had the pleasure of getting to know Lynne over the past three years. I first met Lynne during my first class that I had at YVC. I admire her speaking skills and the confidence that she always presented during class. Lynne was the first person that I thought of who would be a great student for speaking to the graduating class during commencement. Not only is she a mother, but she is also a nontraditional student who myself and others have always looked up to. I was able to ask Lynne several questions about her academic journey at YVC and what her plans are for the future.

Why did you choose to come to Yakima Valley College?

YVC’s Grandview campus is conveniently located close to home, and the courses they offer there sounded good for my educational needs. I was recently unemployed, and a majority of the job openings required some college education in order to apply for the position. YVC just made sense, and I was at a point in my life where I was ready to learn and figure out a new path for my life.

What are you studying at Yakima Valley College and what are your career goals?

I just completed my AA for Medical Assisting. I have already passed my state exam for medical assisting as well, and just awaiting my license to be issued. While I will have my medical assisting license to fall back on, I am motivated to start a career at the local school district. With my AA, I can do substitute teaching or possibly an office job. I know the school district will be a great career choice, as I am a mom to 4 kids, and it just makes sense.

What are some of your proudest accomplishments or achievements?

Finishing college and be able to present my commencement speech in front of our graduating class is really special for me. My kids are my biggest accomplishments, and I’m a very proud mama. I can’t wait to see how far they will go in life, and what amazing journeys they will embark on.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

I hope to be working at the school district, perhaps continuing my education towards a teaching degree, or something further in medical field. I have learned these past couple years that there is no limit to education and what you can learn. I really like the options for online learning, and the flexibility it provides.

Do you have any advice for future students?

My oldest daughter is doing running start this year at YVC. I think running start is a great opportunity for high school students to get a jump start on their college education. Apply for lots of scholarships, and especially the YVC Foundation scholarship. And of course, try not to procrastinate with your homework, but plan ahead and give yourself lots of time to study and learn.

What inspired you to be YVC’s graduation commencement speaker?

One of my best friends from college texted me and said I should apply. She was very persuasive and encouraging. I thought it over and felt inspired to share some words of advice with my classmates. I feel like this experience will be very rewarding, and it will be something my kids will be able to look back on someday for inspiration as well.

What motivates you?

My kids and my husband are so supportive and the base for my motivation. It hasn’t always been easy to get homework done, being a mom and juggling home life- especially during the pandemic but knowing that I will be setting an example for my kids motivates me to finish this journey that I started, and get good grades while I’m at it.

Has there been anyone at YVC that has made a positive impact on you?

I’ve made some great friends during my time at YVC.  I realized after losing my job, that a lot of my social life existed around my place of employment. So, I was happy to find great friendship at college, many of them parents just like me.

What did you want to be when you were younger and how does that compare to where you see yourself currently?

I grew up on a dairy in Grandview and thought I would always be involved in the dairy industry. While many of my adult years have been dedicated to that, I always wanted to help people, and work in the medical field. YVC made it possible by offering the medical assisting class at the Grandview campus. During my externship earlier this year, I had so much satisfaction in working in healthcare and exploring new careers.

What has been your favorite class at YVC?

Fall 2021, I took a Digital Photography 101 class, and my oldest daughter also took the same class through running start. It was so much fun taking the class with my daughter, and it was a great bonding experience for both of us. I even have the opportunity to showcase a few of my photographs at the student art show in May. I have always considered photography a hobby of mine, and the techniques I learned in the class have taught me how to take my portraits to the next level.

What are your plans after graduation?

I am currently applying for employment at the local school district and hope I can secure a career there.

Is there anything else you would like the students at YVC to know?

Don’t hesitate to ask a friend for help, email the professor, or visit the math/English tutoring centers. When I was confused or struggling with a concept: an email to the professors, classmates or help at the tutoring center helped me clear up my confusion and get a better grade in the class. I also found that looking up concepts on Youtube helped me learn the same concept but taught in a different way, (this was especially helpful with my natural science classes). Good luck in your educational and professional endeavors!

Written by Vice President Brittney Scherer