About Running Start
The Running Start Program is a partnership between Yakima Valley College (YVC) and Washington State public high schools. The program offers eligible high school juniors and seniors the opportunity to enroll in regular college classes and receive both high school and college credit for those classes.
Earn up to two years of college tuition free.
Study a subjects not offered at your high school.
Participate in advanced level courses.
Earn their Associate in Arts & Sciences Transfer Degree (AA-DTA).
Experience a college atmosphere.
So how does Running Start work for high school students?
- The Running Start program is available fall, winter and spring quarters.
- Students receive both high school and college credit for completed courses.
- Students may enroll simultaneously in high school and college classes, or solely in college classes.
- Students can enroll full time or part time and can take daytime, evening and online classes.
- Tuition charges are paid for by the high school up to 15 credits per quarter.
- Tuition costs are dependent on the number of high school classes the student is taking.
- Students are responsible to pay fees and purchase or rent textbooks and supplies.
- Students are responsible for their own transportation.
- Fee waivers are available for students who qualify by completing the fee waiver form.
- Private school and home-schooled students are welcome to apply.
Running Start Program Information
Learn more about Running Start including program benefits, information nights, application deadlines and more by visiting our student information page.