International Students

Yakima Valley College (YVC) is an ideal college choice for international students from around the world. We offer high-quality instruction, small class sizes and affordable tuition.  Here are some of the reasons students come to YVC’s International Student Pro​​gram located in Yakima, Washington in the United States:

  • Smaller class sizes, which allows easy access to instructors and helps you make friends.
  • Much more affordable cost for school and living expenses.
  • There are many opportunities to enjoy nature! You are surrounded by clean air and rugged outdoor experiences in the nearby mountains.
  • You will have access to classes in clean and ​modern buildings which are outfitted with many technology enhancements including campus Wi-Fi.
  • We provide on-campus, secure housing which is very popular with our international students. Living on campus makes classes very accessible while getting to live with other students in a culturally diverse community.

We want you to succeed in your studies and enjoy the best of American culture. The International Student Programs is here to support you every step of the way.

Apply for Admission

Interested in applying to Yakima Valley College as an international student? Just follow the steps below.

The Financial Statement for F-1 International Students form must be completed by you, a bank official, and/or your sponsor and submitted with proof of financial ability. You must show assured support for the first year and projected support for the total years needed to complete your degree. Documents should not be more than three months old.

Official copies of transcripts from high schools, national exams, intensive English-language programs, and all colleges or universities attended (translated into English). These must be sent directly to YVC from the issuing institution or testing center.

Students who wish to transfer credit from international institutions must have their international transcripts evaluated (course-by-course) through FIS or WES.

Evidence of English competency which will allow successful completion of course of study.  Please submit at least one of the following (minimum scores or better):

    1. TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language). A minimum composite score of 57 (internet based), 163 (computer based), or 487 (paper based) is required. or,
    2. IELTS (International English Language Test). A minimum score of 5.0 or better is required. or,
    3. TOEIC (Test of English for International Communications). A minimum score of 850 or better is required. or,
    4. EIKEN/STEP (Society for Testing English Proficiency). A minimum score of Pre-1 or better is required. or,
    5. Official verification of successful completion of another nationally-recognized test of English competency, or
    6. Proof of successful completion of an advanced level of English at an approved English language center in the United States with a grade point average of 2.0 or above, or
    7. Successful completion of Central Washington University’s English as a Second Language Program (UESL) program.  A TOEFL or other test would not be required, or
    8. Three (3) credits of college level English composition from an accredited U.S. college or university with a grade of C (2.0) or better, or
    9. Proof of English competency may be determined for native English speakers who completed education (primary and/or secondary) in Australia, Canada (English speaking provinces), Great Britain, Ireland, New Zealand, or the Unites States.  Applicants who meet this native proficiency requirement must provide academic credentials, including school names and dates attended, from primary and/or secondary schools.  Native English speakers from other countries (not listed) where English is the official language for their education for primary and/or secondary schools may be considered with proof of English competency documentation such as academic credentials, or
    10. Proof of successful completion of at least 3 years of high school English in the United States.

TOEFL, IDLTS, TOEIC, and STEP tests must have been taken within two years immediately preceding the requested quarter of admission. Prospective students applying from abroad must submit official test score reports to the college.

Please note that all new students are required to complete YVC’s placement process for English and math after arriving and before they enroll in their first quarter at Yakima Valley College.

A nonrefundable check or international money order for the International Student Application Fee payable to Yakima Valley College in U.S. dollars (USD). Or, online payment can be made.

Application Fee   

Request to submit online.

Check or money orders for the application can be sent to:
Yakima Valley College (Attention: Cashier’s Office)
P.O. Box 22520
Yakima, WA 98907
Include a note with the following information: First & Last Name and a note that it is for the “International Student” application fee.

Transfer Form (only if transferring from a U.S. institution)

Bringing Dependents

Your spouse or unmarried children under 21 may accompany you while you pursue a program of study, research, or teaching in the United States.

If you are an F-1 visa holder, each of your dependents may enter the United States with an F-2 visa.

If your family members wish to visit the United States as tourists, they will need to apply for a B-2 visitor visa. It is customary for the student to write a letter of invitation for their family member(s).

Your children may stay with you on an F-2 visa only until they turn 21. They will need a new visa status to stay in the U.S. after their 21st birthday. Please contact International Student and Scholar Services at least 1 year before their 21st birthday to make plans for obtaining a new status for your child.

How to apply for an F-2 visa

Send the following documents to the International Student Program office (

  • Financial documentation covering the F-1 and all current and requested F-2 dependents (e.g., bank statement)
  • Copy of biographical page of passport

The International Student Program office will add your dependent(s) to your SEVIS record. Then we will issue a new I-20 to you and each of your accompanying dependents.

Acceptance and admission into the college is based on a thorough review and evaluation of the student’s entire application file. Please allow a minimum of eight weeks to process the application. Once students have fulfilled all admission requirements, they will receive a letter of acceptance and Form I-20 that they must take to the American Embassy or Consulate in order to apply for an F-1 visa. The I-20 cannot be sent until all documentation and a $30.00 application fee are received and the student is formally admitted to college.

For complete information on admission, see the catalog.

After Admission

Students are required to purchase or show proof of insurance for a minimum of nine months (one academic year). Once accepted to Yakima Valley College, students cannot register for classes until they have purchased or provided proof of medical insurance coverage. Please contact the International Student Program for more details.

  • Personal essay (1 page) (Optional)
  • Passport/visa-size standard photo (Optional)
  • Immunization (Vaccinations) Records (Optional)

Once Admitted

International Student Program (ISP) office prepares the following after admission:

  • YVC Student ID
  • YVC Acceptance Letter
  • YVC I-20 (allow for processing and shipping)