WorkFirst at Yakima Valley College, can help TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) recipients gain the skills they need to prepare for a better job.
TANF parents can achieve their educational goals by enrolling in a variety of vocational and training programs. WorkFirst students are also eligible to receive financial assistance to pay for tuition, fees and books.
Education & Training available
- High Wage/High Demand, I-BEST, and/or Vocational Education
- Basic Skills, ESL and/or Skills Enhancement Training
- Customized Job Skills Training (CJST)
Who is eligible for WorkFirst?
- Must be currently receiving TANF and meeting all participation requirements
- Students must be enrolled in a Workforce Education program through YVC
- Must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above and meet YVC’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy
- Must have a referral to YVC for training from your case manager at DSHS
- Eligible students may attend full time or part-time classes
WorkFirst Financial Aid
WorkFirst Financial Aid assists TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) parents in gaining the skills needed to become employed. WorkFirst Financial Aid assistance includes funding for tuition, fees, and books toward an approved Workforce Education degree or certificate. To be eligible you must be a current TANF recipient.
- Meet with your DSHS WorkFirst case manager to receive a referral to YVC WorkFirst staff.
- Once the referral is accepted by YVC, students must visit the WorkFirst office in their area for an initial meeting.
- WorkFirst staff will help you develop an educational plan.
Your local contacts to get started:
|Yakima Campus||509.834.4583||Email Yakima||Skills Center, Bldg 32, 1116 S. 15th Ave, Yakima|
|Grandview Campus||509.882.7047||Email Grandview||500 Main, Student Activity Center, Bldg. 52, Grandview|
|Toppenish Learning Center||509.834.4516||Email Toppenish||720 West Third Avenue, Toppenish|
|Sunnyside Learning Center||509.882.7047||Email Sunnyside||2590 Yakima Valley Hwy, Sunnyside|
Yakima Campus Contacts
Grandview Campus Contact
Sunnyside Learning Center Contacts