Transfer Opportunities

Take advantage of quality instructors, low tuition and small class sizes by completing your first 90 credits at YVC and then transferring to a four-year institution in Washington State. You can also complete a bachelor’s degree at YVC and continue onto a graduate program.

Transfer Degrees

The following YVC degrees will transfer directly to Washington State public four-year universities. Out-of-state and private universities may also accept our degrees when you transfer to one of them. Once you enroll at YVC, you should work with your YVC adviser to explore your transfer options and develop your academic plan.

If you do not know who your adviser is you can contact Counseling and Advising Center or look in your ctcLink student account.

Washington State Equivalency

Effective Summer 2007, Washington State community and technical colleges are participating in common course numbering. These courses are identified with an ampersand symbol (&). If you take one of those courses at a Washington State community or technical college, it will transfer to YVC as the same course (e.g., ENGL& 101 will transfer as ENGL& 101). Please review the list of common courses.

Prepare Your Transfer Plan

  • Visit the websites of other institutions to review the majors offered and their transfer admission requirements.
  • Check the YVC Important Dates calendar and attend transfer events.
  • Read the Transfer Tips & FAQs at the bottom of this page.
  • Meet with your Advisor if you need assistance.
  • Maintain a strong GPA.

Your Transfer Options: What to Consider

First make a list of institutions you would like to learn more about. Select at least three. Once you have a list of institutions you would like to consider, go to each of their websites to research following:

  • Academic studies
  • Location
  • Type of institution
  • Types of program and offerings
  • Size
  • Demographic information
  • Support services
  • Cost
  • Agreements
  • Meet with your Advisor to discuss your major and course selection in regard to transfer.
  • Maintain a strong GPA and complete the YVC scholarship application every year; the higher your GPA, the more scholarship opportunities available to you.

Planning Takes Time

Now that you have researched transfer institutions, the next step is to gather some more specific information:

  • Attend Transfer Events
  • Consult Faculty
  • Confirm your Academic Pathway with your completion coach.
  • Fill out necessary forms (e.g., transfer intent form) as advised by your completion coach.
  • Visit the institutions you’re interested in transferring to and determine if each school is a good fit. This is also the perfect time to confirm their admissions/enrollment process and financial/scholarship opportunities
  • Inquire about additional courses or requirements expected by your transfer institutions of interest.
  • Continue to submit necessary forms as needed with your completion coach..
  • Meet with your Advisor if you need assistance.
  • Maintain a strong GPA.

Narrowing Down and Confirming your Decision

If after you have followed all of these steps, you still can’t narrow your list down or decide on your top two or three transfer options, try the following options:

  • Schedule a Campus Tour or Open House event – sometimes visiting the transfer institution can help. Check if you see yourself attending this institution.
  • Request that Admissions connect you with a student like yourself who is attending that institution. Ask them about their experience and/or any questions that admissions office cannot answer.
  • Confirm the admissions requirements and enrollment process.
  • Confirm your financial aid and whether any scholarships you are awarded will be offered once or until you graduate from there.
  • Meet with your Advisor if you need assistance.
  • Confirm your graduation requirements and apply for graduation.
  • Finalize your top transfer institutions and begin the transfer admissions process.
  • Graduate from YVC with the appropriate associate degree and with the minimum cumulative College GPA required for transfer.

Transfer Tips and FAQs 

The Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges provides some helpful resources and information to guide you on your four-year journey after your time at YVC!

Washington 45

Students who complete certain courses selected from within the general education categories listed at public community, technical, four-year college or university in Washington State will be able to transfer and apply a maximum of 45 quarter credits toward general education requirement(s) at any other public and most private higher education institutions in the state.