Washington State Official Certified Training
YVC offers a one-day certification for work zone traffic control flaggers. During the course, participants will receive a study guide and have the opportunity to take the Washington State Certification Exam. Participants must pre-register and pay the course fee in advance. The cost is $55.00
Upon successful completion, receive a Washington State Traffic Control Flagger card valid in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana (valid for 3 years). YVC does not provide job placement.
18 years of age or older. Participants must present a valid state photo ID at the morning check-in to attend the class.
This one-day class is offered at a variety of times throughout the year on the YVC – Yakima Campus. Classes are first come, first serve. Classes fill rapidly; register and pay early to guarantee your seat.
How to Register
At this time in-person registration is not available, please follow the online registration process.
Step 1: Email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the online registration link, class code, and instructions.
Step 2: Once registered into the class, the student will receive another instruction email that includes a YVC student ID (SID) number and how to pay the course fee by phone or online using a debit or credit card (recommended).
Step 3: Pay the $ 55.00-course fee. Your SID will be needed.
Pay By Phone: Call the Cashier’s Office at 509.574.4660 from 9:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. during regular business days. If connected with voice mail, please leave your name and number for the cashier to call back. All payments made before 3 p.m. will be processed the next business day. After 3 p.m. will post after two business days. If you have any questions you may call the cashier at 509.574.4662 or 509.574.4660.
Step 4: Payment must be received at least two days prior to the day of the training. *Participants must pre-register and pre-pay before the day of the training.
Dropped from the Class
Non-payment: At least 48 hours prior to class, the course fee must be paid or the participant is dropped from the class.
Retake & Refund Policy
Participants are allowed to retake the training and retest at no additional fee if they are not successful in passing the exam the first time. Individuals must call to schedule a retake of the test during the next available training date following notice of not passing the exam.
Refund and Rescheduling: Students who are unable to make it to class and give YVC at least 48 hours in advance notification prior to the class date.
- Will be eligible for a refund. All refunds take 14-21 business days to be processed.
- May request to be added to the next training date/class only if they have pre-paid for the class. The limit on this type of request is 1 time. If the registrant does not attend the next class the second time, (even if given proper notice) they will not be issued a refund from the YVC business office and they will be removed from the class by the Registration office. The registrant will have to go through the registration process again.
- Provide notification to email@example.com (preferred) or at 509.574.4745.
Non-refund: Students who fail to show up for class will not receive a refund.
Cancellations: If minimum enrollment is not met by the day before the training or there is inclement weather, the class may be canceled. Students will be notified by the phone numbers listed on the registration form and emailed (if the email address is provided). If a class is canceled, students will have the option to be moved into the next flagger certification class at no additional cost or to receive a full refund.
Individuals may request classroom or testing accommodations four weeks prior to taking the course by contacting YVC Disability Support Services at 509.574.4961 or VP 509.388.2019.
Important Information for the Day of Class
- Class is held in Skills Center, Building 32, Room 104
- Be on time! Students need to arrive at class no later than 7:45 a.m. and class will be over no later than 4:30 pm.
- Be prepared to have your picture taken for your new card. We will ask for hats to be taken off for a clear picture.
- All materials are taught in English.
- Reading and understanding English is a must. There is some math required.
- Bring a highlighter and pen/pencil to class, it may be helpful.
- Bring eyeglasses, if needed.
- Dress casually.
- It is recommended you bring your own lunch. There are no food options on campus.
- YVC’s campus is smoke-free except in designated smoking areas.
- The Washington State Department of Labor and Industries classifies working as a Traffic Control Flagger as “hazardous employment”, therefore class enrollees must be at least 18 years of age to attend the training class.
- Free parking in Lot K off of Prasch and 15th Avenue. Pay lots cost $1 per day. Pay lots are Lot I and Lot N. Campus map.
- The class is around 7 hours long.
- Students receive Traffic Control Flagger Certification Handbook (yours to keep and reference on the job).
- Students take an open book test at the end of the class and must pass with 80% or better.
- Successful completers receive a Flagger Certification Card.
- Class attendees should be prepared to participate in class review exercises by giving short, fill-in-blank style verbal answers if called upon.
- Class attendees should be comfortable with performing basic math calculations (for example; 100 feet divided by 20 feet equals how much? Or how many feet is 1/3 of 600 feet).
- Class attendees will be expected to become familiar with Legal and Engineering Standards (for example WAC-296-155-305, ANSI/ISEA 107-2020, MUTCD, NCHRP-350).
- Real-world videos and photo examples are incorporated into the PowerPoint presentation.
- The course does involve a significant amount of reading out of the student book, from review exercises and from additional reference hand-outs within student folders, if a student normally needs reading glasses to read from a book, please make sure to bring them with you.
- Class content is based on Evergreen Safety Council-created curriculum.
Go online at Flagger Replacement Card – Evergreen Safety Council (esc.org). There may be a fee associated with requesting a replacement card. YVC does not issue replacement cards.