New Student Admissions Steps

Step 1 

Step 3 

 Step 4 

    • Placement: Yakima Valley College requires placement into math and English before you can register for classes. There are multiple options available to you:
    1. Have you attended YVC before?
      1. Previous YVC students that have taken math or English will not need placement.
    2. Have you graduated High School in the last 2 years?
      1. High school transcript evaluation can also grant placement. Submit your high school transcripts to Unofficial transcripts are acceptable for high school placement evaluation.
    3. Have you attended another college or university before?
      1. Ask the college or university you attended to send your official transcripts to us.
        • They may send them electronically to Transcripts emailed or uploaded by students are not official. Once submitted, we will evaluate to determine if you have math or English placement already.
    • Transferring classes: Do you have previous college classes that you wish to transfer?
      • Official transcripts should also be submitted if you wish to have your previous college work evaluated for transfer equivalency. Please submit your official transcripts as soon as possible. Turnaround time is about 8-10 weeks for full evaluation.
    • If none of these options apply to you, please visit ​Placement Testing – Admissions ( for all placement options.
    • You can also take the YVC placement test by emailing your name and YVC ID number to for testing and instructions.

 Step 5 

  • Students taking classes on Yakima Campus – Call 509-574-4712, email or stop by the Admissions counter in Deccio Higher Education Center, Building 8.
  • Students taking classes on Grandview Campus – Call 509-882-7015 or stop by Grandview Main, Building 56.
  • You cannot participate in New Student Orientation and enroll in classes until you complete all required steps.