Yakima Valley College now offers a Bachelor of Applied Science in Business Management (BASM). The number of employment opportunities within the Automotive Industry increase when combined with an AAS in AST. BASM classes are offered in the evenings allowing you to work during the day in the Automotive Industry while completing this degree.
Automotive Service Technology Program
The Automotive Service Technology (AST) program provides a quality, easily-accessible education, utilizing theory, design, practical application, and live work to prepare students for entry-level employment as dynamic and qualified automotive technicians.
Program offers training in all nine ASE areas of automotive diagnostics and repair with emphasis on electronic and computer-integrated systems found on today’s automobiles. The AST Program requires a minimum of two years to complete. Enrollment is open to those who qualify at the beginning of fall, winter, and spring quarters of each academic year. An Associate of Applied Science Degree in Automotive Service Technology is awarded upon the successful completion of the program.
The AST program has been evaluated and accredited at the highest level by the Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Education Foundation (formerly NATEF) as a Master Automotive Service Technology Training Program.
What is ASE Education Foundation Accreditation and the differences between its three levels?
The number of hours, level and amount of subject material, equipment and facilities, and outcomes to list a few. See ASE Education Foundation’s website for a complete list of program standards.
Automotive Service Excellence Certification
National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) tests and certifies automotive professionals in all major technical areas of repair and service. By passing, national tests, ASE-certified technicians prove their technical competence to themselves, employers, and customers. There are specialty exams covering all major areas of repair. Technicians who pass at least one exam and fulfill the two-year work experience requirement become ASE-certified.
The curriculum is structured to help all students reach their potential. All instructors, at a minimum, are ASE Certified in the subject they teach and have formal AST training and years of industry experience.
- Classes address each of the vehicle systems, their operation and components in individual ASE area modules.
- Each 16 credit quarter presents one subject at a time, with emphasis on electrical and electronic integration.
- Each subject has an 8 credit lecture and a corresponding 8 credit lab course.
- Courses are presented in either two classrooms or a 16 bay shop with our own fleet of vehicles and industry relevant equipment.
- Two thirds of the AST core courses are designated to hands-on practical application in our lab.
Additional Program Information
Tool vendors offering student discounts
The following tool List itemizes the required tools for the AST Program. Entry-level technicians seeking employment in the Automotive Service Industry need these basic tools. Companies offer student discounts and some allow the student to view this pricing by registering online, at no charge. See AST instructors for details.
- Snap-on Industrial, Matco, Cornwell, and MAC Tools.
- AMB, Carquest, O’Reilly’s, NAPA, Federated, and Autozone.
- Sears, Home Depot, and Lowe’s.
Student Tool List
AST has a tool requirement, but even with the cost of purchasing these tools our total program cost is extremely competitive. In almost all cases we are less expensive that other automotive institutes. So when you complete YVC’s AST program you will have the training and tools to go to work that day. Tools purchased at a discount only offered to students. See AST instructors for details.
Student Tool Textbook
Textbooks may be purchased through the college bookstore, online through other book selling sources, or used from former students.
The textbook may be purchased or rented in digital format.
- By Jack Erjavec, Rob Thompson
- Edition: 7th
- Publisher: Cengage
- ISBN: 9781337794213
Auto Repair Services
Students in the Automotive Technology Program gain practical experience by working on customers’ vehicles in our lab courses. In an effort to teach current technology that students will be working on in the field, vehicles need to be 1996 models or newer. Work is scheduled by appointment with the AST Stockroom Attendant to coincide with the subjects being taught during each quarter. Work is supervised, inspected, and signed off by our ASE certified and experienced instructors.
- Preventative maintenance solutions
- Check Engine Lights and Drivability diagnosis and repair
- Transmission services
- Brake service
- Oil & lube
- Tune ups
- Tires sales and service
- Warning light diagnosis
- HVAC diagnosis and service
- And many more
- We provide a free 90 point safety inspection on every customer vehicle as part of our services.
Why you save
- Because you are contributing to the education of future auto repair professionals.
- You only pay for a lab service fee and parts.
- You do not pay for shop labor.
All customers receive an estimate prior to any repair for approval before repairs are made.
Please have your vehicle available to the program for a few days, as our students are only in lab for 2 1/2 hours per day. This allows students’ time for family, studies, and work while attending school.
Work is accepted by appointment only on a first come first served basis in each subject taught that quarter. Not all types of work is taken for the program. Time and relevancy to instruction are considered.
For more information or to schedule service contact:
Vehicle and Other Donations
- Donations are greatly appreciated!
- Relevancy to instruction is considered.
- We can provide you with tax contributions forms.
- Vehicles must be registered in Washington State and have the registered owner’s signature on the title releasing it to the YVC.
- In an effort to teach current technology, vehicles need to be 1995 models or newer.
- We do not consider or accept donations that are not directly from the owner.
For more information contact:
AST Department Head
Aftermarket Parts Retailer
Specialty Repair Shop