Yakima Junior College opens in old Columbia Elementary School building
Yakima Junior College (YJC), was originally located in the old Columbia Elementary School, located on North 4th Avenue. Pictured here in 1937, the building was covered in ivy and many faculty members would joke that the ivy was the only thing keeping the building from falling down. In 1949 YJC moved from its original location to what was 16th & Lennox Avenue (now Nob Hill Blvd.). The fall term of the 1949-1950 academic year welcomed students to the new campus.