Winter is around the corner and many people like doing different things. I wonder what is your favorite thing or things to do? Is your favorite thing to do going on vacation? Or going to the mountains? I personally have a few things that I like to do such as watching movies with hot chocolate, playing in the snow and spending time with family.

Before moving to Washington from Southern California, I never really knew what winter was. This was because where I lived at, we sadly didn’t have snow. I finally got the chance to find out what snow was when I moved here, and I have been enjoying every moment of it.

One thing I did during winter in California was decorate a Christmas tree, drink hot chocolate and watch movies. I even had the opportunity one year to go to Disneyland and it was decorated with Christmas decorations. It was beautiful, but the number one thing I enjoyed doing was spending time with my family. Everyone would get together for Christmas Eve dinner and we would have a bonfire outside and tarps. We would play music, dance and even sing. Then at midnight we would give each other Christmas hugs and pass out the presents. There might not have been a lot to do in California but I still enjoyed every moment of it.

Here in Washington it’s different what I get to do when winter is around the corner. One of my favorite things to do is to make snowmen and snow angels. For the last two years I’ve had the chance to do this and the kid in me has enjoyed every moment of it. Another thing I like to do is go to Leavenworth. I have had the chance to go twice and I really enjoyed it.

I also enjoy seeing movies and drinking hot chocolate. Movies that are a must for me during this time are all the Harry Potter movies. I even like seeing them more when it’s snowing outside; it makes me feel like I’m part of the movie. The only difference is that here we don’t have all the family to spend Christmas with. So, it’s smaller, but we still have our Christmas Eve dinner, music, and board games. We enjoy playing Loteria and many different card games. This is what I enjoy doing during winter, how about you?

Post authored by Grandview Student Council Vice President Esmeralda Cruz