Meet Aracely Ochoa

Hey everyone! I’m excited to introduce everyone to one of our commencement speakers for the Class of 2022. Her name is Aracely Ochoa and I’ve had the pleasure to have known her for a few years now. She is an amazing student and member of ASYVC. I’m proud of everything she has accomplished. I recently had a little time to sit down with her and ask her a couple of questions about her time here at YVC and this is what she had to share.

Aracely Ochoa

Commencement Speaker Aracely Ochoa

Why did you choose to come to Yakima Valley College?

A few years ago, my older sister first introduced me to the program when she enrolled in her Junior Year in high school. Instantly, I was drawn to the idea of higher education and knew It was something I was interested in as well. During high school, I liked challenging myself by taking honor classes and setting goals for myself. I knew that I wanted to start my higher education journey early. I decided to take advantage of the opportunity and made it my goal to attend and graduate from Yakima Valley College.

What are you studying at Yakima Valley College and what are your career goals?

I am attaining my Associate’s degree in business from YVC this upcoming June. I am then transferring to UW to receive my bachelor’s in business administration. I want to study finance and work in the business field.

What are some of your proudest accomplishments or achievements?

One of my proudest accomplishments is being accepted to UW and getting direct admission to the Foster School of Business. I am glad I can be a role model to my younger brother, that also wants to attend UW when he’s older.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

5 years from now, I see myself having a stable job with a good work environment.

Do you have any advice for future students?

My advice for future students is to stick to their goals and not give up. There will be moments of discouragement, but it is possible to overcome challenges. Never stop believing in yourself.

What inspired you to be YVC’s graduation commencement speaker?

I became inspired to be YVC’s graduation commencement speaker because I wanted to give a speech that the class of 2022 could relate to. I know many students come from similar backgrounds as me and share similar experiences. I have experienced the struggles that come with being a first-generation student trying to navigate higher education. I also wanted to personally acknowledge and congratulate the efforts of all the 2022 graduates with my speech. (Watch the speech live or the recording on YouTube.)

What motivates you?

Knowing how proud my parents are, keeps me going. They are my source of inspiration and motivation. My parents have helped me value education and without them, I would not be where I am today.

Has there been anyone at YVC that has made a positive impact on you?

My old professor, Dr. Eubanks has made a positive impact on me and inspired me to always try my hardest. He helped me get out of my comfort zone and to be able to ask for help. With a good sense of humor, he was always willing to help me.

What did you want to be when you were younger and how does that compare to where you see yourself currently?

When I was younger, I wanted to be a super spy after watching a show titled “Totally Spies”. I would reenact some scenes and pretend I was on an undercover mission. That is not my plan anymore, for many obvious reasons.

What has been your favorite class at YVC?

English 101 with Mr. Peters was one of the first classes I’ve taken, and I still remember it fondly. Mr. Peter has a way of making his class fun and enjoyable. I learned a lot in his class, and I was also able to educate myself more on racism and current issues. Overall, I am grateful to have had such a great professor who cares about his students’ well-being.

Yak Blog post written by Robert Morrison