• girl standing against a locker

Running Start Information

The Running Start Program is a partnership between YVC and Washington State public high schools. The program offers eligible high school juniors and seniors the opportunity to enroll in regular college classes on our campus and to receive both high school and college credit for those classes. To be eligible for Running Start, students must have at least a 2.0 high school GPA and place into English 101 and Math 085.

Running Start Application

Ready to apply? Complete the application and attach the requested information. Questions? Email runningstart@yvcc.edu.

Running Start Informational Video

Additional Information about Running Start

What will this do for you

  • Earn up to two years of tuition-free college credit, getting a head start on college
  • ​Take courses that may not be offered at high school
  • Select from a diverse offering of classes
  • Experience a college environment while in high school, easing the transition to college life
  • Experience college clubs and activities (except for intercollegiate athletics)
  • Try a different educational setting, an advantage for those who find that the traditional high school does not fit their needs

Just so you know

  • College classes discuss adult topics; students must be mature enough to handle a variety of conversations and assignments
  • College level classes demand that students work more independently and at a quicker pace than high school classes
  • Students are responsible for their own transportation
  • Scheduled college classes could conflict with high school classes and high school extracurricular activities
  • Students are expected to attend classes at the college regardless of differences in school breaks and holidays

El Programa de Running Start es una sociedad entre el Colegio del Valle de Yakima y las escuelas High Schools / preparatorias públicas del Estado de Washington. El programa ofrece a los estudiantes elegibles de la High School / preparatoria del grado 11 y 12 la oportunidad de inscribirse en clases regulares del colegio YVC y de recibir créditos para esas clases en ambos lados la High School / preparatoria y el Colegio.

Los estudiantes pueden elegir asistir a YVC parte de tiempo o tiempo completo. Los estudiantes de Running Start no pagan la cuota del colegio para 15 créditos o menos nivel de colegio que acredita cada cuadrimestre; sin embargo, el resto de los costos se deben ser pagados por el estudiante, incluyendo honorarios del laboratorio, obligatorios del colegio y los honorarios para votar, el transporte y los libros/los útiles necesarios.

YVC ofrece a los estudiantes elegibles un perdón de ingresos bajos de honorarios. La documentación oficial deberá entregarse a la oficina de Running Start para procesarse y hay fecha límite antes de cada cuadrimestre. Por favor comunicarse con nuestra oficina para más información.


Paso 1
¡Asistir a una noche de información de Running Start!

Los estudiantes interesados del grado 10 y 11 y los padres deben asistir a una noche de información, llevada a cabo en febrero y marzo en las High Schools / preparatorias locales y en YVC.

Paso 2
¡Obtenga una aplicación de Running Start!

Los estudiantes y padres/tutores deberán llenar y firmar una aplicación y debe ser entregada cuando sea la fecha para el examen. Marca AQUI para una aplicación, o visita a el consejero de tu high school / preparatoria.

Paso 3
¡Toma el examen para la colocación de Running Start!

Para determinar la elegibilidad, los estudiantes deben tomar examen de escritura,y las secciones de las matemáticas de la colocación del examen de Running Start. Los aspirantes de Running Start de Yakima deben programar una cita para el examen de la colocación. Vea nuestra página de la información del examen para más instrucciones.

Paso 4
¡Revisar la carta de elegibilidad!

Como en una semana después de que los estudiantes toman el examen recibirán una carta que indica su estatus de elegibilidad y cómo proceder.

To be eligible for Running Start, a student must place into English 101 and Math 085.

Quarter Start Priority Application Deadline Final Application Deadline Classes Begin
Winter 2024 N/A November 9, 2023 January 2, 2024
Spring 2024 N/A February 26, 2024 April 1, 2024
Fall 2024 April 12, 2024 August 8, 2024 September 16, 2024

Running Start Program will host a series of information nights for current high school sophomores and juniors and their parents this winter and spring. Students and parents interested in learning more about Running Start should attend an information night. This is an opportunity to learn more about the program and get all your questions answered.  Information nights are held in the spring. View the Running Start Informational Video for information.

2023 Information Nights


Date Time Location Room
January 23 5:30 p.m. Sunnyside (Diana) Auditorium
February 7 6:00 p.m. Eisenhower High School Library
February 8 6:00 p.m. Davis High School Cafeteria
February 14 Morning West Valley (students only – not open to public) Auditorium
February 15 6:00 p.m. West Valley High School Auditorium
February 16 Morning Toppenish (students only – not open to public) Classroom
February 21 6:30 p.m. Selah High School Auxiliary Gym
February 22 6:00 p.m. Naches Valley High School Cafeteria
February 23 6:00 p.m. East Valley High School TBA
February 28 6:00 p.m. Granger Cafeteria
March 6 6:30 p.m. Wapato High School Cafeteria
March 7 6:00 pm Grandview Commons
March 8 6:00 p.m. Zillah High School Cafeteria
March 13 6:00 p.m. Yakima Valley College – Yakima Parker Room
March 22 6:00 p.m. Zoom Link
March 23 6 p.m. Mabton TBD
Other Area High Schools If your high school is not hosting an information night, please feel free to attend any other convenient session. Contact your high school’s counseling office or visit yvcc.edu/runningstart for information about the Running Start Program at YVC.

Contact your high school’s counseling office, or contact runningstart@yvcc.edu for more information.

Students attending a private school or participating in home-based instruction may apply for Running Start. Interested students follow the regular Running Start application process. Once the student is deemed eligible for Running Start, students should then visit their resident public school district office for further instructions regarding public school enrollment.

Students must be considered a junior or senior to be eligible for Running Start. Running Start enrollment procedures for private and home-school students vary by district, and the public school district and/or public high school determines the student’s grade level.

All students must be enrolled through a public school district and will need to get the public high school counselor’s signature on the quarterly Enrollment Verification form.

Want to know which YVC classes will be accepted for high school credit?

Click on your school to find out which YVC classes will count for high school and college credit. Each student’s high school record will determine which courses must be completed for high school graduation. Each quarter students must meet with their high school counselor to discuss their educational plan and complete an Enrollment Verification form.

Remember, the high school counselor will guide students through their high school experience and YVC Running Start advisors can help with college-specific information.

East Valley High School
Ellensburg High School
Grandview High School
Granger High School
Highland High School
Mabton High School
Naches High School
Prosser High School
Selah High School
Sunnyside High School
Toppenish High School
Wapato High School
West Valley High School
Zillah High School
Yakima High Schools

All public and private colleges in Washington accept college-level academic Running Start credits in a manner consistent with standard transfer equivalency policies.

Generally, students who complete college credit while in high school will apply to four-year colleges and universities as freshmen, and they will receive transfer credit after being admitted to the college. Students must complete the freshmen application requirements including taking the SAT or ACT test, and completing the core high school requirements.

A student who completes an Associate of Arts degree at a community college in Washington will have satisfied, in most cases, all of the general university requirements for the first two years at the public universities in Washington.

Students should find out about specific requirements for admission into individual major departments (School of Engineering, School of Business, etc.) and other specialized departmental requirements. In some majors, e.g. Engineering, it is not possible to meet all the departmental requirements and earn an A.A. degree in two years. In cases like these, it may be more advantageous to meet the departmental requirements rather than the A.A. degree requirements.

Even though YVC​ has transfer agreements, it is advisable to work closely with the four-year colleges and universities for a successful transfer.

Transfer Guide

School (Public) Transfer Guide Running Start Admission Information
Central Washington University CWU Transfer Guide CWU RS Admissions Policies
Eastern Washington University EWU Transfer Guide EWU RS Admission Policies
The Evergreen State College TESC Transfer Guide TESC RS Admissions Policies
University of Washington UW Transfer Guide  UW RS Admissions Policies
Washington State University WSU Transfer Guide WSU RS Admissions Policies
Western Washington University WWU Transfer Guide WWU RS Admission Policies
School (Private) Transfer Guide Running Start Admission Information
Gonzaga University GU Transfer Guide GU RS Admissions Policies
Heritage University Heritage Transfer Guide  
Pacific Lutheran University PLU Transfer Guide PLU RS Admissions Policies
Seattle Pacific University SPU Transfer Guide SPU RS Admissions Policies
Seattle University SU Transfer Guide SU RS Admissions Policies
University of Puget Sound UPS Transfer Guide** UPS RS Admissions Policies
Whitman College Whitman Transfer Guide Whitman RS Admissions Policies
Whitworth College Whitworth Transfer Guide Whitworth RS Admissions Policies

** Read UPS Admission Policies first

Washington state law allows a community or technical college authority to issue a high school diploma or certificate as provided under this section: 

An individual enrolled through Running Start who satisfactorily completes an associate degree, including an associate of arts degree, associate of science degree, associate of technology degree, or associate in applied science degree, shall be awarded a state high school diploma from the college upon written request from the student. (These individuals are not required to complete the State Board of Education’s graduation requirements.)​ 

Additional details on the agreement with the SBCTC in conjunction with the Superintendent of Public Instruction can be found under Chapter 4.60.20

YVC high school diplomas are accepted at four-year colleges and universities and will be listed on a student’s YVC transcript. See a Running Start Advisor for more information.

Keep up to date on Running Start