Accepting applications for Fall 2021 starting February 5, 2021. The deadline to submit completed applications is 11:59 pm April 1, 2021. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Minimum Application Eligibility Requirements
All eligibility requirements must be complete by the end of spring quarter. If a student is completing any of the requirements during summer quarter, they can still apply however, potential acceptance will be conditional upon completing all minimum requirements before fall quarter.
- An associate degree OR at least 90 college-level credits from a regionally accredited college or university
- Minimum cumulative college-level GPA of 2.5 (combination of all college transcripts)
- WEST-B skills test or acceptable alternative (by application submission applicants must provide evidence of attempting all three subtests)
Additional Recommended Coursework
The BAS-TE program is a selective admission program and therefore competitive, the following courses are highly recommended to increase program success and application competitiveness:
- ENGL& 101 grade of “C” or above
- College-level math or symbolic reasoning course that meets Quantitative Distribution grade of “C” or above
Admission to BAS-TE is a selective process. Admission to YVC does not guarantee entrance to the program. A complete BAS-TE application must be submitted by the deadline indicated.
Step 1: Apply to YVC
- If applicable, complete the online YVC Application. There is a $30 non-refundable application fee.
- Students do not need to complete the YVC application if they have been a student within the last twelve months.
- Apply for FAFSA/WASFA, if you intend to use financial aid.
- Send all official transcripts from previously attended colleges or universities to YVC admissions for evaluation, if applicable.
- Current YVC students and those who have submitted transcripts recently do not need to resubmit.
- There is no need to request official transcripts from YVC.
- Transcripts must remain in a sealed envelope to be considered official. If transcripts are sent electronically, have them sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yakima Valley College
PO BOX 22520
Yakima, WA 98907-2520
Step 2: Apply to the Program
BAS-TE Application opens February 5, 2021.
Several items need to be uploaded within the online application. Make sure to have the following items ready before completing the application:
- Reflective Essay: BAS-TE Reflective Essay Instructions
- Evidence of basic skills assessment scores (WEST-B, ACT, SAT): By the application submission, you must provide evidence of attempting all three subtests.
Step 3: Wait for Notification
Applications are reviewed after the application deadline in April. Students can expect a notification from the BAS-TE program regarding interviews toward mid-May via US mail.
If you are accepted, plan on attending a mandatory advising appointment in July and an orientation session the week before fall quarter classes begin. Instructions about orientation will be sent after notification of program acceptance.
Candidates who are accepted into the Teacher Education program will be required to pass a criminal background check before their Field Experience (student teaching) begins. See the OSPI website for details. Also, applicants for certificates in Washington State must give evidence of good moral character and personal fitness as specified in WAC 181-79A-155. This evidence includes an affidavit from the applicant indicating that he or she has not been convicted of any crime or a complete disclosure of all arrests and subsequent dispositions of such arrests. In the event of a conviction for any arrest, the applicant shall state reasons why such conviction does not reflect adversely on the requirement to possess good moral character and be personally fit.