Frequently Asked Questions

Add Funds to YVC Onecard


Explains how to add funds to cards, which can be used for laundry machines at the SRC. 

​​Use Onecard for SRC Laundry Facilities


Explains how to use onecard to do laundry at the YVC SRC.

​ FAQ's​
Deposit Re​​fund Policy
See housing contract.                        
See housing contract​ for security/damage deposit.  

How to pay the deposit:                         

Deposits must be mailed to:                        

Yakima Valley College (Attention: Cashier's Office)                        

P.O. Box 22520                        

Yakima, WA 98907                        

Please note:  Non-YVC applicants will be assigned a student ID # following receipt of required documents.  Please wait for assigned SID before sending in your deposit.                        


Required Immunizations:                          

YVC requires certain immunizations prior to admission to help protect your health and the health of all our students.                          

  1. MMR (Mumps, Measles, Rubella) Only for students born after 12/31/56. Requires two immunizations.
  2. DT (Diphtheria, Tetanus) Requires last booster dose within the past ten years.

You have a right to refuse the required immunizations based on religious, personal, or medical reasons.                          

Recommended Immunizations:
YVC encourages all students to obtain:

  1. Hepatitis B - Recommend series of three immunizations
  2. Polio - Recommend series of at least three immunizations
  3. Tuberculosis has been of increasing concern in the United States. We recommend that you see your health care provider for symptoms of persistent cough or fever prior to coming to YVC. You may need a skin test and/or a chest x-ray.

Meningococcal Meningitis Vaccine:
Meningococcal meningitis is the leading cause of life-threatening meningitis in young adults in the U.S. It strikes about 3,000 people each year with 300 deaths. College students account for about 125 cases and 15 deaths. The infection is spread by air droplets like the flu and has flu-like symptoms initially. Symptoms can progress rapidly and lead to shock or death in hours. The risk for young adults ages 18-23 is 1.5 in 100,000. College students are not at higher risk than non-students, except for freshmen, particularly those living in residence halls (4.6 in 100,000). Meningococcal disease usually peaks in late winter and early spring. The disease can easily be misdiagnosed as something less serious, because symptoms are similar to the flu. The most common symptoms include high fever, headaches, neck stiffness, confusion, nausea, vomiting, lethargy and/or rashes. Anyone with similar symptoms should contact a physician immediately.

The vaccine is safe and available through your own doctor. Side effects are uncommon and usually mild. The vaccine will cause immunity in about 90% of individuals but is ineffective against one stereotype of meningococcus which causes about 30% of the cases. The vaccination lasts three to five years and costs approximately $65.                          

General immunization has not been recommended since the incidence of meningococcal disease is low. However, the American College Health Association recommends that parents and students, especially freshmen and dormitory residents who want to reduce their risk of disease, consider the benefit of vaccination. Students without a spleen or who are immunodeficient should consider vaccination.                          

If you have any questions, feel free to contact your local health department or the Yakima County Health Department.                          

The residence hall at Yakima Valley College offers kitchens on each floor. The kitchen is equipped with a stove (see frying rules below), refrigerator, microwave, tables and chairs. Cooking and eating utensils are not provided.  We have found from experience that this room is very popular in that students can cook there, eat in a large area with friends and then study.                          

Of course, you can bring a small refrigerator or microwave to cook in your room if you wish. There are grocery stores within walking distance of the residence hall.                          

We do not have food service in the building.  Food service is available on the main campus in the HUB cafeteria. You can check with them regarding menus and serving hours.                          

There are several restaurants and fast food establishments in the local area.                    

For SRC kitchen rules, including stovetop/range options, please see the following documents:  SRC Kitchen Rules & SRC Frying Rules.


Click http://www.yvcc.edu/services/safety-security-parking/Pages/ParkingPermits.aspx                        

For additional details, contact 574-4610.                        


See appendix-housing payments & fees.                  


If you know of a specific individual that you would like to live with indicate that on your housing application. The roommate should do the same, and the Housing Office will work to match you together as roommates. In the event that you do not have a specific roommate request, the Housing Office will attempt to match answers on the application which will assist in assigning you with a compatible roommate.  If your roommate moves out of the room, you will be allowed to stay in the room without a roommate and pay the appropriate single room rate, or secondly you will be offered the opportunity to find a person in a similar situation and become roommates.                          


The second floor of Lyon hall has been designated as co-ed quiet. The 'Quiet lifestyle floor' is for students wanting an atmosphere conducive to studying and sleeping.                           


The second floor of Lyon hall has been designated as co-ed quiet.                          

  1. Quiet hours: 24 hours every day.
  2. Any noise (that is, stereos, televisions, radios, talking, etc.) must be kept at a level that cannot be heard by neighboring residents. Noise that is prolonged and/or blatant (noise that enters another student's room) is in violation of the policy.
  3. Three quiet lifestyle violations will result in removal from the quiet lifestyle floor.

Basic cable is provided in common lounge/recreation areas.  Wi-Fi is provided within the SRC for YVC students and public internet is available when the rec room is open.                         

Charter Cable has internet and cable television hook-ups in every room and they have various plans available. You will need to make your own arrangements for these services. There is a small computer lab in the residence hall that offers free internet service to YVC students.                         

You will have your own mailbox and this is your address:
(Resident Name)
1113 South 14th Avenue
Yakima, Washington 98902

Rent is due on the first day of every month. A $25.00 late fee will be assessed on the sixth day.                          


Yakima Valley College
Attention: Cashier's Office
P.O. Box 22520
Yakima, WA 98907-2520

Yakima Valley College Deccio Building Cashier Desk                         

Online (YVC students only):                         

Pay Your Tuition & Fees Online (Including Housing Rent & Fees)                         

Important note:  Tuition and other fees including housing amounts will be shown all together.  The Housing office will distribute bills with monthly breakdowns.  For more information regarding Housing finances you can contact the Housing Office at 509-574-4885 or src@yvcc.edu.                            

Call CDX Dining Services at 509-574-6833 or e-mail diningservices@yvcc.edu.  Closed summers.                  


All beds are regular twin.  Not extra long.                           

You cannot bring beds or mattresses.                                      

Charter: Call 877-906-9121 telephone, internet, and/or cable)                            

Qwest Communications: Call 800-244-1111 (telephone and/or internet only)                           

These are for profit companies not affiliated with or recommended by YVC.                        


A small fridge (no larger than 36 inches and/or three cubic feet) and small microwave (no more than 800 watts are recommended).

See campus map. We are located in the Student Residence Center (building 30).                          


See instructions and a video for how to add funds to your YVC Onecard. ​  

See video.                 

Maybe. It depends on when you move in, how much Financial Aid you get, and when Financial Aid will be disbursed. Financial Aid is paid to tuition and fees first, and then it will pay other charges such as housing. The soonest Financial Aid can pay your rent is the first day of the quarter. So, if you move in prior to the start of the quarter you will be responsible for all charges leading up to that quarter. It is your responsibility to check with the Financial Aid office regarding disbursement dates and amounts. The Housing Office will not hold payment due pending receipt of earnings, income or financial aid. ​   

Residence Hall staff advises every student who lives in on-campus student housing, regardless of age, that he or she may register one or more individuals to be a confidential contact strictly for missing persons purposes. The contact person can be anyone. Students are given this option even if they have already identified a general emergency contact. A student may identify the same individual for both purposes, but YVCC will not assume that a general emergency contact is also the missing person contact. Students are offered this option upon check-in.  Information on how to register a contact or contacts can be found by contacting the Student Residence Center.                           

If a resident of the Yakima Valley College Student Residence Center appears to be missing for a period of 24 hours or more or Student Residence Center staff is notified that a resident is missing, the following will occur:                          

• A Student Residence Center staff person will go to the dorm room to see if the resident is in the room.  If upon knocking and identifying themselves the staff person does not get a response, they will enter the room for a well-being check.                          

• The Student Residence Center staff person will call any telephone number(s) the resident has indicated as their personal number.                          

• The Student Residence Center staff person will interview other residents in the Student Residence Center to ask if they know where the missing resident is.                          

• If at this time the resident is not accounted for Student Residence Center staff will notify Campus Security.                          

• Campus Security officers and Student Residence Center staff will determine if they need to notify the director of auxiliary services at this time (in the event the incident occurs after regular Student Residence Center Office hours).                          

• Campus Security officers and/or the director of auxiliary services will notify counselors and faculty to determine if they know the resident's location.                          

•  If a predetermined contact has been given to the Student Residence Center, that individual will also be contacted at this time.                          

• Campus Security officers will call civil authorities if needed.                           

In the event Campus Security officers or the director of auxiliary services are not available, a Student Residence Center Program Assistant will notify civil authorities if needed to locate the resident and/or report them missing.      ​           ​   ​    ​