Residence Hall staff advises every student who lives in on-campus student housing, regardless of age, that he or she may register one or more individuals to be a confidential contact strictly for missing persons purposes. The contact person can be anyone. Students are given this option even if they have already identified a general emergency contact. A student may identify the same individual for both purposes, but YVCC will not assume that a general emergency contact is also the missing person contact. Students are offered this option upon check-in. Information on how to
register a contact or contacts can be found by contacting the Student Residence Center.
If a resident of the Yakima Valley College Student Residence Center appears to be missing for a period of 24 hours or more or Student Residence Center staff is notified that a resident is missing, the following will occur:
• A Student Residence Center staff person will go to the dorm room to see if the resident is in the room. If upon knocking and identifying themselves the staff person does not get a response, they will enter the room for a well-being check.
• The Student Residence Center staff person will call any telephone number(s) the resident has indicated as their personal number.
• The Student Residence Center staff person will interview other residents in the Student Residence Center to ask if they know where the missing resident is.
• If at this time the resident is not accounted for Student Residence Center staff will notify Campus Security.
• Campus Security officers and Student Residence Center staff will determine if they need to notify the director of auxiliary services at this time (in the event the incident occurs after regular Student Residence Center Office hours).
• Campus Security officers and/or the director of auxiliary services will notify counselors and faculty to determine if they know the resident's location.
• If a predetermined contact has been given to the Student Residence Center, that individual will also be contacted at this time.
• Campus Security officers will call civil authorities if needed.
In the event Campus Security officers or the director of auxiliary services are not available, a Student Residence Center Program Assistant will notify civil authorities if needed to locate the resident and/or report them missing.