Veterans GO2 - Getting Started
Step 1– WHICH EDUCATIONAL BENEFIT IS RIGHT FOR ME?
- Chapter 30 (regular active duty - joined 7/1/85 to present)
- Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation) - see your Voc Rehab counselor for appropriate paperwork
- Chapter 33 (served after 9/11)
- Chapter 35 (dependents) parent/spouse veteran 100% service-connected disabled or service-connected deceased
- Chapter 1606 (guard/reserve) not deployed
Step 2 - APPLY FOR VA EDUCATIONAL BENEFITS
- Go to https://www.vets.gov/education/apply/
- Click on "Apply for Benefits" and follow the instructions.
- Complete the application, then click "Submit" - print a copy for your records. It takes the VA anywhere from two weeks to two months to process your application. Once it has been processed, they will send you a Certificate of Eligibility.
- Questions? Contact : VA Education Line: 1.888.442.4551
Step 3 - APPLY FOR FEDERAL STUDENT AID (OPTIONAL)
Go to: Apply for Federal Student Aid Online
Step 4 - CHOOSE YOUR EDUCATIONAL PROGRAM AND APPLY FOR ADMISSIONS
Decide on a specific program of study and officially apply to Yakima Valley College Apply
See an academic counselor with questions regarding program content and availability. Advising & Counseling Center
Step 5 - MAKE AN APPOINTMENT FOR PLACEMENT TESTING
If you have prior college credits, you may not have to take the Accuplacer test. However, transcripts must be evaluated prior to YVC making that decision. Testing Center
Step 6- REQUEST TRANSCRIPTS
Immediately request that all transcripts from previous schools to be sent to YVC Admissions. YVC is allowed to certify your classes to the VA for only three quarters until your transcript(s) arrive(s).
Step 7 - MAKE an APPOINTMENT WITH YVC VETERANS COORDINATOR
Chris Kinzell – 1.509.574.4715 or email: email@example.com