Veterans GO2 - Getting Started
First Step – WHICH EDUCATIONAL BENEFIT IS RIGHT FOR ME?
- Chapter 30 (regular active duty - joined 7/1/85 to present)
- Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation) - see your Voc Rehab counselor for appropriate paperwork
- Chapter 33 (served after 9/11)
- Chapter 35 (dependents) parent/spouse veteran 100% service-connected disabled or service-connected deceased
- Chapter 1606 (guard/reserve) not deployed
- Chapter 1607 (guard/reserve) deployed at least 90 consecutive days or more)
Second Step - APPLY FOR VA EDUCATIONAL BENEFITS
- Go to www.gibill.va.gov
- Click on "Apply for Benefits"
- Click on "Launch VONAPP"
- Create your username and password (if first time user)
- Choose your form:
- 22-1990 for chapters 30, 33, 1606, 1607
- 22-1990E for chapter 33 transfer of entitlement recipients
- 22-5490 for chapter 35 (dependents of 100% disables veteran)
- NOTE: Chapter 31 will apply through their Voc Rehab counselor
- Complete the application, then click "Submit" - print a copy for your records. It takes the VA anywhere from two weeks to two months to process your application. Once it has been processed, they will send you a Certificate of Eligibility.
- VA Education Line: 1-888-442-4551
THIRD STEP - aPPLY FOR FEDERAL student AID (OPTIONAL)
Go to: Apply for Federal Student Aid Online
fourth Step - CHOOSE YOUR EDUCATIONAL PROGRAM AND APPLY FOR ADMISSIONS AT YVCC
Decide on a specific program of study and officially apply to Yakima Valley Community College Apply
See an academic counselor with questions regarding program content and availability. Advising & Counseling Center
fifth Step - MAKE AN APPOINTMENT FOR ASSESSMENT TESTING
If you have prior college credits, you may not have to take the COMPASS test. However, transcripts must be evaluated prior to YVCC making that decision. Testing Center
sixth Step - REQUEST TRANSCRIPTS
Immediately request that all transcripts from previous schools to be sent to YVCC Admissions. YVCC is allowed to certify your classes to the VA for only three quarters until your transcript(s) arrive(s).
seventh Step - MAKE an APPOINTMENT WITH YVCC VETERANS COORDINATOR
Ignacio Romero – 1-509-574-4715 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org