Tech Prep allows you to earn DUAL CREDIT!
(high school and college credit at the same time) for successfully completing certain Career and Technical Education courses at your high school.

You MUST register your high school course within our registration system while you are in the class.

Please pay special attention to registration and payment deadline!


Register for Tech Prep

1.Go to the Student log in page of the Washington Tech Prep website.
- a. If you have never registered for Tech Prep before, click on "Create an Account".
- b. If you are a returning student, enter your information in the Student Log In box using your Tech Prep ID number. If you do not know your Tech Prep ID number, please ask your career specialist, teacher, or contact the Tech Prep office by e-mail or call our office 509-574-4744.​

2.To find available classes, click "Register for Classes". Your high school should auto-populate, if not, choose your high school name from the drop down menu and then click "Go Search!" You may choose your teachers name if you like, however there is no need to choose any other fields.

3.Place a check in the box to the left of the classes you are currently in. NOTE: If you are in a year long class (or two semester class), only place a check near course A; for example: "Accounting A" – this will automatically sign you up for the second semester "Accounting B".

4.Click the "Register" button

5.On the next screen, you will need to choose the teacher who is teaching your class. NOTE: If a course has more than one teacher, those classes will also be displayed. Simply choose the teacher/course that you are in.

6.When you've made your selections, click "Save & Register".

7.Remember to print a confirmation page. Keep this page for your records.

Tech Prep FAQ's

click the question to find the answer














What is Tech Prep?
A program designed to give opportunity to students in Career and Technical Education (CTE) courses to receive dual credit (both high school and college credit) for coursework they do in high school.​

Do I have to leave my high school campus to take the class?
No, you are actually receiving the college credit for what you are learning in your high school classroom.​

Why am I able to get college credit for my high school Tech Prep classes?
The colleges can grant you college credit because your high school instructors and CTE directors work with the college instructors. Therefor, you are actually receiving college level instruction in your high school classroom.

What grade do I need to earn in order to receive the college credits?
You must earn a "B" (3.0) or better in order to receive the college credit. If the Tech Prep class requires two or more semesters of work in order to earn the college credit, you must have a "B" or better in all semesters.​

Can I apply for credit for the same high school class through more than one college?

Are there restrictions on when I can register for my Tech Prep class?
Yes you must register for your college credit through SERS during the year you take the class. Ideally, if you register during the semester you are enrolled in the high school course, especially if the course is only a semester long.

Am I eligible to earn Tech Prep credits from classes I took in previous years?
No. You can only register for classes for the year you are taking them.​

How much will it cost me to earn college credit through Tech Prep?
There is absolutely no cost to you.

Will the college credit I earn through Tech Prep transfer to colleges other than Yakima Valley Community College?
There is no guarantee these credits will transfer to any other community college, technical college, four-year college or university. We recommend that you contact each perspective college you wish to go and ask how your credits will transfer. Some colleges will take credit how it is (such as accounting credit will transfer as an accounting credit, business credit will transfer as a business credit), other colleges might accept it as an elective credit, while some colleges may not accept credit at all.​

Will the college credit I earn at my high school be looked at differently than if I earned them at the colleges themselves?
No. When you earn your college credit through Tech Prep, they will appear on you college transcript exactly the same as if you earned them at the college.​

What is the maximum amount​ of college credit I can earn through Tech Prep?
There is no limit. The more college credit you earn while you are in high school, the more prepared you are to enter a technical program of  your choice. Also, you spend less money earning your technical degree. You can complete your degree sooner, and start earning higher wages sooner!​

Will the college credit I earned through​ Tech Prep ever expire?
No. These credits will follow you for the rest of you life. If at any point in your life you wish to have these credits transferred to a college of your choosing, all you need to do is contact the college where you received credit and ask them to send a transcript.

What is the difference between an "official" and "unofficial" transcript?
An official transcript comes in a sealed envelope and is the type you would give to the college you might attend. Once the seal is broken, it becomes an unofficial transcript.

I can't remember which class and/or college I registered for. How can I see my registration?
  1. If you know your TP ID #, you can login by entering your TP ID # along with your date of birth. The ID is case sensitive, so be sure to capitalize the TP.
  2. You may have created a User Name and Password; you can also login using this option.
  3. If you don't remember your TP ID # or User Name; email tmonti@yvcc.edu or call the Tech Prep office at (509) 574-6806. Give us your full name, date of birth and verify your high school. We will give your TP ID # to you.
Note: There is a Forgot Login option under the login boxes that will email your login information to you if you have provided us with a current email address.
Top of page​

How do I get my transcript? 
You will need to contact Yakima Valley Community College or the college where you earned credit. Here is a link to YVCC's website that will provide additional information: http://www.yvcc.edu/Students/Registration/Pages/OfficialTranscript.aspx