Home & Private School

Students attending a private school or participating in home-based instruction may apply for Running Start. Interested students who are in their spring quarter of their sophomore year should fill out a Running Start application and take the placement test.

The public school district and/or public high school determines the student's grade-level status. Once the student is deemed eligible for Running Start, students should then visit their resident public school district office for further public school enrollment instructions.

Running Start enrollment procedures for private and home-school students vary by district.

All students must be enrolled through a public school district to take Running Start classes.

Private school students who wish to continue attending their private school during Running Start will be enrolled in three schools: the private school, the public district or high school, and YVCC.

Home-based instruction students will be enrolled through a public district or high school, YVCC, and any home-school program they are continuing with.

If students are not seeking a public high school diploma, they are not required to take any classes at the public high school.