The mission of the Writing Center is to provide one-to-one writing support to student writers at all levels of experience and writing skills across the curriculum.
We believe that learning to write well means sharing your writing with others. That’s why the Writing Center exists—to help you become a better writer by spending time with you on your writing projects. Because we support your thinking and writing, we will not write your papers for you, correct errors, or polish sentences. Instead, we listen to your writing concerns, show you ways to get started, ask questions, offer suggestions and encouragement, and in general help you pay attention to your thoughts as they develop on the page.
What we do . . .
- Welcome writers from all backgrounds and of all skill levels
- Read, listen, and talk with you about your work in all stages of the writing process from gathering ideas, to drafting, revising, and editing
- Help you identify the strengths and weaknesses of your writing
- Discuss writing strategies
- Answer questions about spelling, punctuation, and grammar
- Show you how to proofread and correct errors
- Respect your decisions about what to change in your writing projects
What we don't do . . .
- Discuss grades or suggest a grade for a piece of writing
- Correct your papers or do the writing for you
- Pretend to be the experts of your writing—that is your role
- Pretend to be experts in biology, history, psychology, nursing, nutrition, and so on—that is your instructor’s role
Back to Top
Copyright (c) 2001 by Yakima Valley Community College Writing Centers. All rights reserved.
Unless otherwise indicated, all written materials on this website are the property of the YVCC Writing Centers. These materials are published here for free use by YVCC's students and staff and for the general online community. Printing materials from this site is permitted for personal and educational purposes only. Please notify us if you would like to link to this site.
For problems or questions regarding this web contact email@example.com.
Last updated: August 27, 2003.