How to Apply
Required documents should be submitted to the International Student Program office a minimum of eight (8) weeks prior to the beginning of the quarter of planned attendance. This time allows us to process the I-20 form and gives you sufficient time for your visa application, travel plans, and arrival in the United States. All documents must be in English. While we are aware of the difficulties you may encounter in providing certain information, we urge you to cooperate in sending all credentials as soon as possible.
The International Student Application Checklist shows exactly what is needed to apply. See Apply Now on how to submit documents.
If English is not your native language, you must prove English language competency through one of the following:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language). A minimum composite score of 57 (internet based), 163 (computer based), or 487 (paper based) is required. Or,
- IELTS (International English Language Test). A minimum score of 5.0 or better is required. Or,
- TOEIC (Test of English for International Communications). A minimum score of 850 or better is required. Or,
- EIKEN/STEP (Society for Testing English Proficiency). A minimum score of Pre-1 or better is required. Or,
- Proof of successful completion of an advanced level of English at an approved English language center in the United States with a grade point average of 2.0 or above, or
- Three (3) credits of college level English composition from an accredited U.S. college or university with a grade of C (2.0) or better.
TOEFL, IDLTS, TOEIC, and STEP tests must have been taken within two years immediately preceding the requested quarter of admission. Prospective students applying from abroad must submit official test score reports to the college.
Please note that all new students are required to complete a placement test (COMPASS) in English and math after arriving and before they enroll in their first quarter at Yakima Valley Community College. (See Once You’re Accepted)
- International Application (completed and signed). International Student Application (available online or pdf version)
- $25.00 Application Fee. A nonrefundable check or international money order for the International Student Application Fee payable to Yakima Valley Community College in U.S. dollars (USD).
- Immunization Record. Washington state law requires full-time students to show proof of immunization against measles, mumps and rubella. Submit this form with a doctor’s signature, including office address and telephone number.
- Academic Credentials.
- Official copies of transcripts from high schools, national exams, intensive English-language programs, and all colleges or universities attended (translated into English). These must be sent directly to YVCC from the issuing institution or testing center.
- Students who wish to transfer credit from international institutions must have their international transcripts evaluated (course-by-course) through AACRAO. You can follow the instructions outlined on the International Transcript Application & Evaluation Process Form.
- Financial Certification. Financial Statement (available online or pdf version).
The Financial Statement for F-1 International Students form must be completed by you, a bank official, and/or your sponsor and submitted with proof of financial ability. You must show assured support for the first year and projected support for the total years needed to complete your degree. Documents should not be more than three months old. Do not send copies or faxes of the Financial Statement.
- Health Insurance. Students are required to purchase or show proof of insurance for a minimum of nine months (one academic year). Once accepted to Yakima Valley Community College, students cannot register for classes until they have purchased or provided proof of medical insurance coverage. Please contact the International Student Program for more details.
- Housing. If you will be living off-campus and provided with free room and board, you must provide a statement from the individual who will be providing your housing. For on campus housing click here.
- Transfer Form. Students transferring from a U.S. college, university or high school must submit a transfer-in form.
The links included within the Yakima Valley Community College (YVCC) Web pages will take you out of the YVCC site. Links are limited to those that meet our educational purpose. The linked sites are not under the control of YVCC and YVCC is not responsible for the contents of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site, or any changes or updates to such sites. YVCC is not responsible for Webcasting or any other form of transmission received from any linked site. YVCC provides these links solely as a convenience and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by YVCC or any association with their operators.