YVCC Dental Hygiene Program Prerequisites
- A MINIMUM OF 2.0 MUST BE EARNED IN EACH PREREQUISITE COURSE
- A MINIMUM OF 2.5 CUMMULATIVE GPA IN ALL PREREQUISITE COURSES MUST BE ACHIEVED
- LIMITED RETAKES OF DENTAL HYGIENE PREREQUISITES ARE PERMITTED. A MAXIMUM OF THREE PREREQUISITE COURSES MAY BE RETAKEN (each retake one time only) TO IMPROVE COURSE GRADE.
- A MINIMUM OF 8 PREREQUISITE COURSES MUST BE COMPLETE BY THE END OF WINTER QUARTER OF THE YEAR APPLYING
- INSTRUCTION IN ALL "LAB" SCIENCE COURSES MUST BE CONTINUALLY UNDER THE DIRECT SUPERVISION OF THE INSTRUCTOR. ONLINE LABS DO NOT MEET PREREQUISITE REQUIREMENTS.
- A MIMIMUM OF 5 MATH SCIENCE COURSES MUST BE COMPLETE BY THE END OF WINTER QUARTER OF THE YEAR APPLYING
- ALL PREREQUISITE COURSES MUST BE COMPLETED PRIOR TO FALL ENTRY INTO THE DENTAL HYGIENE PROGRAM
- THE FOLLOWING COURSES MUST HAVE BEEN COMPLETED WITHIN FIVE YEARS OF APPLICATION TO THE PROGRAM: Chemistry: Inorganic, Organic, and Biochemistry; Anatomy/Physiology; Microbiology; Nutrition
- COMPLETION OF THE DENTAL HYGIENE PREREQUISITE COURSES DOES NOT GUARANTEE ADMISSION INTO THE DENTAL HYGIENE PROGRAM. ACCEPTANCE IS BASED ON THE FINAL SELECTION CRITERIA.
|COURSE & NUMBER|
- Chemistry 109 & 110 Principles of Chemistry
- Chemistry 209 and 210 Organic/Biochemistry
**Chemistry 209 & 210 or the equivalent must have a biochemistry
component comparable to Yakima Valley Community College Chemistry 209 &
- ENGL&101 English Composition I
- ENGL 102 English Composition II
Two college level composition courses are required; Literature, creative writing, and technical writing courses are not accepted.
- Human Nutrition 101
- Biology 230 Human Anatomy & Physiology (Biology 109 General Biology - required prerequisite to Biology 230 & 231)
- Biology 231 Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Biology 232 Microbiology
- Math&146 Statistics
- PSYC&100 General Psychology
- SOC&101 or ANTH&206 Cultural Anthropology
- CMST&101 Introduction to Communication or CMST&210 Interpersonal Communication or Speech 280 Intercultural Communication or CMST&220 Intro to Public Speaking
(The course numbers listed above are offered at Yakima Valley Community College. Courses, which appear to be equivalent, may be accepted upon the recommendation of appropriate college officials.)
**YVCC course description for Chemistry 209 & 210 reads:
Introduction to Organic Biochemistry. This is a one-quarter survey of organic, chemistry with an introduction to metabolic pathways. The instruction methods include lecture, small-group discussion, class presentation, and individual and team experiments. Prerequisite courses: CHEM 109 /110 or equivalent or CHEM 142/152
***Note Chemistry 100 or high school Chemistry - required prerequisite to Chemistry 109 & 110.
- The Dental Hygiene education curriculum is a postsecondary and scientifically oriented program of study.
- Skills development is rigorous and intensive.
- Enrollment is limited by the facility and faculty.
- Special program admissions criteria and procedures are established for selecting students who have the potential for successfully completing the program.